Again on this weekend, Sunday the 3rd July 2016
Check with Ishvara firstname.lastname@example.org for details!
You will walk through the old Jewish neighbourhood of Doornfontein Johannesburg.
Some of the highlights include :
* the Lion Shul : 1906
* Yiddishe Arbeiter Klub : the Jewish Workers Club : 1928
* the Alhambra Theatre
* the Yiddishe Altesheim : Jewish Old Age Home
* Beit Hamedrash Hagodel : the Sherwell St Shul
* the first Greek Orthodox Church in Joburg : 1913
* the Beit St shops – Wachenheimers , Nussbaums etc
* the Ottoman Embassy : home of Henri Bettelheim
* the University of Johannesburg Campus
* the Jewish Govt School : IH Harris Primary
* the Hebrew High School : Talmud Torah
* the old Victorian homes on Sivewright St
* the Great Synagogue on Wolmarans St : 1914
If you wish to attend, please confirm that there is available space by sending an email to :
email@example.com for banking details and further instructions
Space is limited – so confirmation is essential
Please note : men please bring a yarmulke for entering the synagogues and women please dress modestly.
To see my previous posts on the Doornfontein Walking Tour, visit:
There are 4 parts! Use this search engine to access all 4: