Lviv Ukraine 2

Download PDF

DSC_8709

Beis Aharon V’Yisrael Synagogue

IMG_8091 IMG_8094 DSC_8637 DSC_8703 DSC_8697 DSC_8696 DSC_8670 DSC_8638 DSC_8645 DSC_8690 DSC_8692 DSC_8655 DSC_8663 DSC_8649 DSC_8657 DSC_8659 DSC_8665 DSC_8667 DSC_8678 DSC_8679 DSC_8694 DSC_8706 DSC_8709 DSC_8707 DSC_8708
<
>

Beis Aharon V’Yisrael Synagogue

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tsori Gilod Synagogue
Sinagogalvov1.jpg
Basic information
Location UkraineLvivUkraine
Affiliation Orthodox Judaism
Status Active
Architectural description
Architect(s) Albert Kornbluth
Architectural style Baroque style
Completed 1925

The Beis Aharon V’Yisrael Synagogue, also known as Tsori Gilead Synagogue, is the only functioning Jewish Orthodox synagogue in LvivUkraine.

History

The Tsori Gilod Synagogue in Lviv

The Tsori Gilod Synagogue is one of only two Jewish temples in Lviv to have survived World War II. There were nearly fifty before the Nazi occupation.

Originally built in 1925, the synagogue was designed by Albert Kornbluth in the Baroque style. The construction was financed by Jewish charity “Tsori Gilod”, and was designed to accommodate 384 worshipers.

The building managed to survive the war as the Nazis used it as a horse stable. After 1945, under the Soviet regime, the synagogue was used as a warehouse. In 1989, the building was returned to the Jewish community. It was renovated from 1995 to 1997, and again from 1999 to 2000. In 2004-5, under the initiative of HGSS Friends of Lviv (a charity associated with Hampstead Garden Suburb Synagogue in London), and with substantial funding from the Rohr family of New York and Miami, it underwent a major interior renovation under the direction of architect Aron Ostreicher. At the same time the magnificent artwork on the walls and ceilings was restored.

Today, Tsori Gilod synagogue is the only functioning synagogue in Lviv. Services are conducted by the Chief Rabbi of Lviv and West Ukraine, Rabbi Mordechai Shlomo Bald, a Karlin-Stolin hasid from Borough Park, Brooklyn, so the religious community became known as “Beis Aharon V’Israel”, as many institutions of Karlin.

Lviv Tourist Information Centre  click to download pdf 

Self Guided Jewish Tour

Screen Shot 2016-07-20 at 9.42.38 PM

More icons of past Jewish life in Lviv

DSC_8224 DSC_8249 DSC_8309 DSC_8316 DSC_8488 DSC_8323 DSC_8381 DSC_8379
<
>

Monument to the Lviv Ghetto

DSC_8543 DSC_8540 DSC_8535 DSC_8494 DSC_8532 DSC_8537 DSC_8524 DSC_8522 DSC_8527 DSC_8505 DSC_8504 DSC_8503 DSC_8520 DSC_8539 DSC_8506 DSC_8502 DSC_8521 DSC_8507 DSC_8508 DSC_8509 DSC_8510 DSC_8511 DSC_8512 DSC_8513 DSC_8514 DSC_8515 DSC_8516 DSC_8517 DSC_8518 DSC_8519
<
>

Memorial plaque at Klepariv Train Station

DSC_8598 DSC_8595 DSC_8592 DSC_8604 DSC_8590 DSC_8594 DSC_8585 DSC_8581 DSC_8582 DSC_8583
<
>

Other views of Lviv

DSC_8240 DSC_8281 DSC_8305 DSC_8306 DSC_8338 DSC_8340 DSC_8385 DSC_8365 DSC_8468 DSC_8346 DSC_8369 DSC_8270 DSC_8459 DSC_8473 DSC_8482 DSC_8483 IMG_8135 DSC_8491 DSC_8622 DSC_8626 DSC_8628 DSC_8632 DSC_8633 IMG_8130
<
>

Videos

On the coach to Lublin, Poland

IMG_8146 IMG_8158 IMG_8160 IMG_8162 IMG_8165 IMG_8168 IMG_8171 IMG_8172 IMG_8174
<
>

 

 

image_pdfimage_print

Leave a Reply